Applications for Citizens Bank New Hampshire and WMUR-TV Champions in Action awards now available online
Four nonprofits to each receive $25,000 grant and media exposure in 2011
Manchester, N.H. (September 20, 2010) - Citizens Bank and WMUR-TV today announced the categories for the 2011 Champions in Action® program, which provides financial, volunteer and PR support to small nonprofits doing big things in the community. Economic Development, Food and Nutrition, Community Healthcare and Homelessness are the four areas of focus for 2011. Applications for the first and second quarter of 2011 are now being accepted and can be completed online at citizensbank.com/community/champions.
A nonprofit organization that focuses on economic development, which can include community revitalization and stabilization, small business support, workforce development or job creation, will be announced for the first quarter in January 2011. The application deadline for the Economic Development category is Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5 p.m.
Nonprofit organizations focused on the following areas will be selected in 2011:
- Second quarter topic, Food and Nutrition, will be selected and announced in April 2011. The online application deadline is Friday, October 8, at 5 p.m.
- Third quarter topic, Community Healthcare, will be selected and announced in July 2011. The online application deadline is Friday, March 25, 2011 at 5 p.m.
- Fourth quarter topic, Homelessness, will be selected and announced in October 2011. The online application deadline is Friday, March 25, 2011 at 5 p.m.
Launched in 2002, the Champions in Action program is designed to recognize and support nonprofit organizations for their contributions to New Hampshire communities. A new champion that addresses the designated social concern is selected each quarter.
Through the Champions in Action program New Hampshire, Citizens Bank and WMUR-TV have committed more than $940,000 in grants and free TV airtime to organizations dedicated to workforce development, family support, environmental impact and other social issues.
Each Champion in Action receives:
- $25,000 contribution in unrestricted funds from the Citizens Bank Foundation.
- Media coverage from WMUR-TV, including public service announcements and television profiles.
- Volunteer support from Citizens Bank and WMUR-TV employees.
- Public relations support.
- Promotional support highlighting the Champion in Action in all Citizens Bank branches and on its ATMs.
- Exposure on both Citizens Bank and WMUR-TV Web sites.
Qualifications for being selected as a Champion in Action are:
- Must be a New Hampshire-based, nonprofit organization that services New Hampshire and address the designated social concern for the quarter as a core focus of the organization’s mission.
- A demonstrated history of strong fiscal responsibility and leadership.
- An ability to show how the organization will make effective use of the support and resources being awarded.
- A unique approach to dealing with the specific social concern.
- Provide verification of tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Have a total agency operating budget of $5 million or less.
About Citizens Bank
Citizens Bank is a division of RBS Citizens, N.A., operating its seven-state branch network in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont. It has 83 branches and 162 ATMs in New Hampshire.
RBS Citizens, N.A. is a subsidiary of Citizens Financial Group, Inc., a $140 billion commercial bank holding company headquartered in Providence, R.I. CFG’s two bank subsidiaries are RBS Citizens, N.A. and Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania. They operate a 12-state branch network under the Citizens Bank brand in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont, and the Charter One brand in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. CFG has non-branch retail and commercial offices in about 40 states. CFG is owned by RBS (The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc).
WMUR-TV (Ch. 9) is an ABC-TV affiliate headquartered in Manchester, N.H., and is owned and managed by Hearst Television, Inc., one of the nation's largest television station groups. WMUR-TV is New Hampshire's largest commercial TV station, reaching more than a million people. Founded in 1954, the station's news, feature and sports coverage has won numerous awards for professional and journalistic excellence. WMUR-TV is considered the broadcast news source of record for New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation presidential primary election. WMUR-TV provides online news and information at www.WMUR.com