The Citizens Bank Foundation donated $271,500 to help families and individuals facing homelessness in 2011
Grants for homeless prevention, emergency shelters and transitional housing were provided
PROVIDENCE, R.I (April 2, 2012) - The Citizens Bank Foundation today announced it gave $271,500 in contributions to seven organizations meeting the needs of the homeless across Rhode Island in 2011. These programs directly support thousands of individuals and families in Rhode Island who are in need of shelter, food and social services.
“The Citizens Bank Foundation is proud to support organizations that meet the needs of the homeless,” said Ned Handy, President, Citizens Bank Rhode Island & Connecticut. “These organizations not only help families and individuals, but also benefit the community as a whole by promoting long-term success in addition to current assistance.”
Among the organizations receiving a Citizens grant is Lucy’s Hearth in Middletown, RI. A Citizens Bank/ NBC 10 Champions in Action recipient, Lucy’s Hearth serves homeless mothers and their children through an emergency shelter program, a transitional apartment program, a permanent apartment program and an outreach and aftercare program. Lucy’s Hearth has been in operation since 1984 and has grown to become a treasured asset to the homeless mothers and children of Newport County.
"To be recognized for homeless services is an honor,” said Jennifer Barrera, program director of Lucy's Hearth. “It’s a true testament to the hard work of our staff, board of directors, friends of Lucy's Hearth and volunteers. The support we receive through Citizens is invaluable.”
The organizations that received grants from the Citizens Bank Foundation to address homelessness are:
- Lucy’s Hearth: $25,000 was awarded to Lucy’s Hearth as a Champion in Action. Serving approximately 45 mothers and 80 children with a whole range of housing programs, nutritional support, and counseling services, Lucy’s Hearth helps mothers and children gain a semblance of normalcy in their lives as they move towards finding work, excelling in school and improving their lives.
- Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless: $100,000 was awarded to the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless to help shelters throughout the state with heating assistance. The Coalition works to develop good public policy, positively change social service systems, and promote social justice for those that are homeless or at-risk of homelessness in Rhode Island.
- Neighborworks Blackstone River Valley: $100,000 was awarded to the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless to help shelters throughout the state with heating assistance. The Coalition works to develop good public policy, positively change social service systems, and promote social justice for those that are homeless or at-risk of homelessness in Rhode Island.
- Crossroads Rhode Island: $25,000 was awarded to Neighborworks Blackstone River Valley. NBRV is a nonprofit community development corporation committed to rebuilding neighborhoods and communities in Rhode Island. Its newest project, the Northern RI Affordable Housing and Community Development, will move the Marshfield Commons project in North Smithfield towards the construction phase of development. In a few months time, the Marshfield Commons will be complete with 38 affordable rental units, a playground and community meeting space in a restored historic home on the property.
- Jonnycake Center of Westerly: $7,500 was awarded to the Jonnycake Center of Westerly Rhode Island. The Bradford Jonnycake Center is a nonprofit organization that provides food, clothing, educational and financial assistance to those in need in the Westerly/Chariho area.
- Riverwood Mental Health Services: $20,000 was awarded to Riverwood Mental Health Services. Riverwood is a private nonprofit provider of high quality community-based behavioral health services for adults with serious and persistent mental illness. Their Housing First RI Program serves the chronic homeless who may have behavioral health issues.
- Rhode Island Family Shelter Inc.: $1,500 was awarded to the Rhode Island Family Shelter, which provides a 24 hour shelter for homeless families. This is the only temporary emergency family shelter in the Kent County area. The Rhode Island Family Shelter works with families to assess problems, set goals, and give support and guidance enabling the establishment of a stable home environment upon leaving the shelter.
About the Citizens Bank Foundation
Citizens Bank Foundation is a subsidiary of the Citizens Charitable Foundation, which is a charitable contributions vehicle of Citizens Financial Group, Inc., RBS Citizens, N.A. and Citizens Bank of Pennsylvania. The foundation’s support is focused on housing, community development and basic human needs. CFG’s Web site is citizensbank.com