Student Loan Lenders
Choosing a reliable bank for your student loan needs
With college costs growing at about twice the rate of inflation and many family savings pools affected by economic changes, private student loans are becoming more necessary than ever. Private student loans offer an opportunity to close the gap between what a family has on hand and what it costs to send their children to college. Be sure to maximize grants, scholarships and federal loans first before taking out a private loan.
How to find the right bank to lend you the money
Here are a few things to consider when evaluating student loan lenders:
- Do you or your family already have accounts with a bank that offers student loans for the school of your choice? If not, consider a full-service institution that offers a variety of banking options, like checking accounts and student loans.
- Do you or your family already have student loans through a particular lender? If the answer is yes, you might consider staying right where you are, as long as you are happy with the rates, service, and repayment options.
- Does the lender offer competitive rates, different payment options and online account access?
- Does the student loan lender have years of experience offering student loans? Do they appear on a preferred lender list or offer the ability to reach a live person for expert advice? Citizens Bank has over 25 years of experience in the student loan industry.
When you've decided which school you'll be attending, ask your school's financial aid office for a list of its preferred lenders. Preferred lenders of student loans have originated loans for students of that school before, and may be more familiar with your school's process, personnel or policies. Remember, however, your school must process a loan from any lender, even if they are not on their preferred lender list.
Learn how you can get outstanding customer service from your student loan lender
Find helpful information about our affordable Citizens Bank TruFit Student Loan® and our convenient bank accounts for students. Also, review our frequently asked questions about student loans and if you want to speak to someone, call a student loan specialist at 1-800-708-6684, and we'll help walk you through the process.
Additional student loan and college planning resources
- My School Doesn't Have a Preferred Lender List
- How Can I Find a Preferred Lender?
- Reputation: Why Citizens Bank is Credible
- Newsletter Landing Page