International Student Loans
Learn about international student loans for studying in the U.S.
For decades, the United States has been a beacon of higher education around the world. With its globally recognized colleges and universities, students from around the world have been coming to America to pursue higher education. But how can they secure an international student loan to finance those educations?
To receive federal student financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national (including natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island) or a U.S. permanent resident who holds a permanent resident card.
However, study abroad students are eligible for some private, international student loans. At Citizens Bank, our private student loan product, the TruFit Student Loan™, allows international students to apply as long as they have a credit-worthy co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
Remember that international studying in the U.S. will require considerable preparation on your part. Among the things you'll need to arrange for are:
- Obtaining your student visa. In most countries, that will require an in-person interview. Consulates and embassies are busiest during the summer season, so you'll want to make these arrangements before then.
- Testing your English. Most colleges and universities in the U.S. will require overseas, non-native-English-speaking students to prove their command of English through a standardized test.
Some of these arrangements take longer than they used to in the post-9/11 environment. So don't wait until the last minute to make your plans.
Learn more about our affordable Citizens Bank TruFit Student Loan™
Find helpful information about the Citizens Bank TruFit Student Loan™. If you still have questions, call a student loan specialist at 1-800-708-6684, and we'll help walk you through the process.
Additional student loan and college planning resources
- What Can a Cosigner Expect?
- Countdown to College Calendar
- An Overview of Student Loans
- The Student Loan Application Process