Learn more about school private loans here
How much can I borrow with a TruFit Student Loan®?
There are no annual limits. You may borrow up to the cost of your education, less any financial aid.
Depending on your education level, the total borrowing limits vary. The lifetime aggregate amount of your TruFit Student Loans plus federal and other private student loans cannot exceed:
||Total Private and Federal
Student loan Debt
|Total Citizens Bank
Student Loan Debt
|Business and Law
|Medical and Dental
Minimum borrowing amount is $1,000.
Can a TruFit Student Loan help pay for my books and personal expenses while I’m at school?
Yes. Our TruFit Student Loan
can be used to help pay for your indirect costs while you are enrolled in school. You can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid you have received, as determined by your individual school.
Do I have to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for private loans for school?
No, you do not have to complete a FAFSA to apply for a private student loan. The FAFSA is used to determine federal student aid only.
I have bad credit. What should I do?
Obtain copies of your credit report from all three major credit bureaus and pinpoint exactly what is hurting your score. Then, read over our student loan credit section for helpful tips and advice on how to establish, improve and maintain good credit.
How do I apply for a TruFit Student Loan?
To apply for the TruFit Student Loan, all you need to do is fill out the quick and simple online application. Before you apply, make sure you have the following items available so you can easily complete your application:
- Name, address, phone number, email address
- Date of birth
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license number
- Gross monthly household income
- Employer name, phone number and length of employment (if applicable)
- Monthly rent or mortgage payment (if applicable)
- Name of school you plan to attend
- School’s Department of Education code
- Cost of attendance and any financial aid received (see award letter from your school)
- Anticipated graduation date (MM/YYYY)
- Private college loan amount requested
- Loan period (MM/YYYY to MM/YYYY)
- Cosigner name and valid email address (if applicable).
Remember, students are encouraged to apply with a qualified co-signer to increase their chances of receiving the lowest rate possible.
Are there any fees for a TruFit Student Loan?
The TruFit Student Loan has zero fees for all borrowers.
What kind of credit is required for a TruFit Student Loan?
The lender will need to see a reasonably strong credit history, which is derived from your credit score. If a student does not have sufficient credit history, he or she should apply with a credit-worthy cosigner.
What if I am not approved for a TruFit Student Loan?
If you apply for a private student loan on your own, without a cosigner and are denied, it's probably because you have insufficient personal credit history, as is typical for a student. You'll simply have to find a qualified cosigner, such as a parent or other guardian, and re-apply.
When can I begin repaying a TruFit Student Loan?
Your repayment options vary depending upon the option you choose when you completed your promissory note:
- Immediate. Students can make payments while in school.
- Interest-only. Students can make interest-only payments while in school, helping lower total loan debt.
- Deferred. Students can defer payment on our alternative student loan until 6 months after graduation, leaving school or when they drop below half-time status.
Are there any penalties for paying off a TruFit Student Loan early?
There's no prepayment penalty.
Any other questions about TruFit Student Loans?
Please talk to one of our Student Loan Specialists at 1-800-708-6684.