Plan a Winter Resort Trip in New England
Discover some of the best ski resorts in New England with our guide
Do you love crisp winter air and fresh, powdery snow? Whether you're a beginner, a seasoned veteran, or fall somewhere in between, New England ski resorts have plenty to offer winter sports enthusiasts. If you're planning a trip and want to explore the best ski resorts in New England, learn more about creating your budget and finding the perfect resort for you and your family to enjoy.
What to consider in your New England winter resort budget
Depending on your winter vacation priorities, some resorts could be a better fit than others. Before you start saving for your trip, consider some of the following factors:
- Where do you want to go? Ski resorts abound in New England, making it easy for locals to find a place to enjoy regularly. However, if travel and lodging will be a factor in your plans, make sure to account for it in your overall budget.
- What do you want to do? Novice skiers may enjoy resorts with a wider range of activities, while more advanced skiers may want a resort with a higher number of challenging runs. Our guide below includes resorts with a variety of difficult runs and activities to choose from.
- What's a realistic budget for you and your family? Costs can add up quickly, especially if you're traveling with multiple family members. When you create your budget, make sure you strike the right balance between comfort, activities and affordability. For example, is it more affordable to rent a cabin than it is to stay at the resort? Would choosing a higher-end resort limit the number of days you get to spend on the slopes? Asking these types of questions can help you determine how you want to spend your funds and ultimately, where you go.
- What’s the best way to start saving for your trip? To help you budget for your ski trip, consider opening a checking account that fits your timeframe and savings style. With One Deposit Checking from Citizens Bank®, we’ll waive the monthly maintenance fee if you make just one deposit each month. No matter what Citizens Bank account you choose, you'll have access to our comprehensive online and mobile banking tools so you can easily manage your funds at home or on the slopes.*
Learn more about the wonderful winter resorts in New England
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing spa experience, a fun family getaway or a place where you can push your limits on the slopes, these New England ski resorts have something for everyone.
Smuggler's Notch Resort, Smuggler's Notch, VT
Experienced skiers visit Smuggler's Notch to conquer Black Hole, the only triple-black diamond in the eastern United States. This ski resort also has trails for all skill levels as well as snowmobile tours, ice skating, tubing and indoor pools. In addition, Smuggler’s Notch boasts a massage center and nine on-site restaurants, making it one of the best ski resorts in New England.
- Skiable acres: 1,000
- Elevation range: 1,030 - 3,639 ft
- Number of trails: 78
- Terrain parks: Six
Jay Peak, Jay, VT
If you love snow-covered scenery, you'll appreciate that Jay Peak records more snowfall than any other winter resort in New England. Adventurous skiers can take advantage of the resort’s relaxed backcountry exploration policy, and parents can enjoy some private time thanks to a full-service nursery and daycare for children 3-weeks- to 7-years-old. Take a break from the downhill skiing with cross country skiing, snowshoeing and tubing options.
- Skiable acres: 385
- Elevation range: 1,815 - 3,968 ft
- Number of trails: 78
- Terrain parks: Four
Sugarloaf, Carrabassett Valley, ME
Not only is Sugarloaf considered to be one of the best ski resorts in New England, it's also the largest ski resort east of the Mississippi River. If you're looking for exhilarating downhill skiing, Sugarloaf's snowfields are challenging above-the-tree-line runs that can't be found anywhere else in New England. In addition to top-notch skiing, this resort features six restaurants, nine shops, a nightclub, spa, rock climbing wall and more.
- Skiable acres: 1,230
- Elevation range: 1,417 - 4,237 ft
- Number of trails: 161
- Terrain parks: Three
Whiteface Mountain, Wilmington, NY
Whiteface Mountain is the tallest ski mountain with the greatest continuous vertical drop in the eastern United States. Home of the 1980 Winter Olympics, this New England winter resort offers an impressive list of activities for guests, including bobsleds, aerial gondola rides, an Olympic museum and ice shows. The New England ski resort also features four extensive terrain parks containing rails, boxes and jumps.
- Skiable acres: 288
- Elevation range: 1,220 - 4,650 ft
- Number of trails: 87
- Terrain parks: Four
Open a Citizens Bank checking account and save for your winter resort trip
If you’re planning to explore some of the best ski resorts in New England, Citizens Bank can help. Our checking accounts and online tools can help you manage your money before, during and after your winter excursion. To learn more about your options, speak with one of our customer service representatives today.