Take a staycation to save money and relax on a budget
Vacations are an opportunity to get some much needed rest and relaxation away from the office. They alleviate stress, give you the chance to reflect on your future and bond with family, and can even make you more productive when you return home. But, maybe a lavish beach vacation doesn’t fit into your current budget, or perhaps work or family obligations make it difficult to travel out of town this year.
Just because you can't get away doesn't mean you should cancel your vacation: Staycations can be an inexpensive way to have fun with the family from the comfort of home. Discover ways to enjoy your time off while saving money with our affordable staycation ideas. You’ll also find out more about how to manage your checking account and staycation spending with our convenient online and mobile banking features.
Affordable staycation activities
Whether you're planning a summer or winter staycation, consider these affordable activities close to home:
Spend a night (or day) on the town
Are there new restaurants or local hot spots you haven’t had time to try? Staycations are the perfect time to go exploring. Whether you live in a rural or metropolitan area, there may be hidden treasures in your own backyard worth experiencing:
- If your city has a public transportation system, buying an all-day pass will allow you to hop on and off at your leisure.
- Since you won’t have to pay for a hotel stay, use the funds you save to dine out at new restaurants. Websites like TripAdvisor or Yelp provide an easy way to discover local spots you may have overlooked.
- If you have kids, consider hiring a sitter or asking the in-laws to babysit for an evening so you and your significant other can enjoy some time alone.
- A family staycation can give all of you a chance to visit places like the local zoo, waterpark or museum.
Get active with these outdoor staycations ideas
No matter what the season, there are plenty of staycation ideas that will get you out in the fresh air:
Head to the beach, go apple picking, spend a day on a local ski hill or set sail on a dinner cruise with friends or family.
- Sign up for a historical walking tour in the nearest city or go for a guided nature walk through the woods.
- Learn a new skill by renting a jet ski, scheduling a horseback riding session or stopping by your local outdoor supply store to try fly fishing.
- Join an astronomy club to learn about the night sky or watch astrological events like meteor showers.
Transform your home into a staycation resort
Indulge in luxury without leaving the house by turning your home into a staycation resort:
- Buy and install a hammock and make a staycation reading list. Stop by the library to borrow the books for free, or save a trip by using your e-reader to access library books online!
- Change up your dinner routine by dining out, having food delivered a night or two or grilling and dining alfresco if the weather is nice.
- Turn a room of your house into an aromatherapy spa, and spend some quiet time relaxing by candlelight.
- If your family has a favorite vacation destination, use that location as a theme for your staycation resort. Whether it's a tropical Mexican beach or a quaint Italian village, find foods and music that are native to the area to bring your staycation idea to life.
As much as possible, treat your staycation like a real vacation. Activate an out-of-office message for your email, update your voicemail and put your work phone away. By eliminating as many distractions as possible, you can end your staycation feeling relaxed and refreshed.
Manage your staycation spending with online banking
While staycations can help you save money, you may still need to monitor costs when planning dinner dates, buying tickets for events or picking up food to enjoy at home. Online and mobile banking tools are a great way to check your balance both at home and on the go, which can help you plan the rest of your at-home experience. The Citizens Bank Mobile Banking app allows you to deposit checks, review your balance and transfer money from one account to another so you can spend your staycation relaxing, rather than waiting at the bank. If you have questions about online and mobile banking, our customer service representatives are here to help.