Remodel to Sell - Or Should You Stay?
Remodeling tips that might just make you fall in love with your home again
Have you fallen out of love with your dream home? If your current home is more of a burden than a blessing, you may be considering packing up and moving. However, these remodeling tips to help you sell your home may be enough to make you want to stay. Using a home equity line of credit or loan to give your home a makeover is worth the investment as it can improve your home's value and help you make more off the sale.
Weigh your options: Do you need to move or want to move?
If you're relocating for work, staying in your home is just not an option. But, what if you love the school district and your neighbors, and it's just the house you can't stand anymore? Giving your home a makeover might be enough to make you stay. Consider why you want to move and what would need to change in order to convince you to stay.
- Take a look at the housing market. Could you realistically sell your home quickly as is?
- Think about where you want to be in the next 10 years. Can you afford a new mortgage and accomplish your other goals?
- Make a list of pros and cons. Do your kids have a lot of friends here? Do you like your neighbors? Is the area likely to increase in value in a few years? Are property taxes low?
- Examine your budget. Could you afford to make all the changes you want? Would a home equity line or home equity loan help cover the costs?
- Consider how much your home is worth. If you could get the value of your home, would it be enough to pay off your mortgage and cover a substantial down payment on a new home?
Home makeover tips when you want to remodel to sell
After all that, if you still decide to sell, your home may need a few touch-ups before you put it on the market. These remodeling tips will help you get it ready for prospective buyers and might even change your mind.
- Upgrade your kitchen. Most buyers are looking for modern, energy-efficient appliances and a spacious design that includes plenty of storage. Updating the fixtures and countertops to brushed steel and granite can make a big difference.
- Repaint. You want potential buyers to see themselves and their style in your home. If you have some crazy wall colors or paint that's begun to show its age, a fresh coat in a neutral color can do the trick.
- Finish the basement. You're more likely to hook buyers with a home that doesn't need any work. Consider a basement remodel that includes waterproofing, flooring, drywall, paint, and lighting. Section off the laundry room for a more pleasant recreational space, and consider the addition of a wet bar and cabinets.
- Remodel the master bedroom. You may attract newlyweds and young families with a master suite that has some distance from the other bedrooms in the home. Consider the privacy benefits of a master bedroom and full bath and the spatial benefits of walk-in closets.
- Create a home office and library. Give potential buyers an idea of just what that spare room can be. A library can serve as a private office or a second family room away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the house.
- Design the perfect outdoor patio. Whether it's stone, brick or poured concrete, an outdoor entertaining space is sure to catch the eye of any buyer. Set it up with an outdoor fire pit, new patio furniture, a grill and ambient lighting.
Use a home equity line of credit or loan from Citizens Bank for your home makeover
Citizens Bank offers a variety of borrowing options to help you finance your home makeover. Consider how a home equity line of credit or loan can help you improve the value of your home and maybe even make you stay!
If you find yourself considering any of the above remodeling tips, plan out the design and speak with our Home Loan Advisors about a home equity line or loan. If you do decide to sell, we can also help you finalize the mortgage on your new home. Contact us today for more information on the borrowing options available.