The Social Security / Income Gap

Experts estimate that you'll need 80% of your pre-retirement income to live comfortably in retirement. And Social Security will fund only a small portion of what you'll need. According to the Social Security Administration, Social Security income typically comprises only 21% of an individual's retirement income. What other sources of income will you have to fill the gap? The other 79% will have to come from savings, investments, employment earnings pensions and other sources.

A good place to start retirement planning is by looking at your Social Security benefits statement. The Social Security Administration mails it to you annually three months before your birthday. It outlines your benefits and estimates your retirement income, making it an important planning tool.

Featured Articles
Tools & Resources

Personalize MoneyHelp

Topics by personal interest


Branch/ATM Locator

Over 1,100 branches close by.


Contact Information

Receive Email Updates

Sign up now to receive offers and updates from Citizens Bank.