Making the Most of College Campus Visits
Visiting college campuses? Here are some tips and campus visit questions to help you get the information you need to make a decision
Scheduling a college campus visit is an exciting milestone. Having narrowed down your list of schools, it’s now time to finalize where you will be applying. Visiting college campuses gives you the opportunity to ask questions and explore not only the available academic options, but also the campus culture and general feel, which can help you make your decision. Consider the following tips and campus visit questions when planning your trips to different schools. Take lots of photos and save your answers for each school so you can compile and compare them when you’re back at home.
Tips for setting up a college campus visit
- Plan ahead: Most schools will suggest, if not require, an appointment for campus visits, which can be made through the admissions office. Schedule these visits far in advance to ensure your spot and try to spread out visits so you aren’t overwhelmed by consecutive weeks of college campus visits. This will also help your individual visits stand out more.
- Have an itinerary: Though colleges will provide you with a tour, it might not include everything you personally want to see or do. Make appointments with the necessary administrators ahead of time and be sure to plan extra time to visit any of the facilities or parts of campus that are not included on the tour.
- Stay overnight: If possible, visit while school is in session and try to schedule an overnight visit to get a feel for what the college experience will actually be like.
- Come with questions: Since you'll probably be visiting more than one school, you'll need to be organized. Prior to your visit, research the schools online and see what others are saying on social media sites. Have a list of campus visit questions prepared ahead of time that includes general questions for all schools as well as niche thoughts about individual colleges.
What to do when visiting college campuses
Here are a few activities that can help you get the most out of your campus visit:
- Sit in on a couple of classes.
- Meet with a professor or two in your area of interest.
- Meet with the coaching staff or athletic director if you’re considering pursuing sports.
- Schedule a college interview with an admissions administrator.
- Eat in one of the school dining halls.
Additional student loan and college planning resources
- How and Where to Find Scholarships
- Questions to Ask a College Tour Guide
- Financial Aid Timeline
- History of the Ivy League