State Grants for College

Learn what state education grants are and where to find them

Even if your child doesn't qualify for federal student aid, you nevertheless might be eligible for financial assistance in the form of state education grants from the state in which you reside, especially if your child plans to attend an institution in that state.

The kinds of support available vary widely among the 50 states, from state grants for college to scholarships. For instance, under its MASSGrant program, Massachusetts provides need-based assistance to state residents who attend qualified undergraduate programs. New York State, meanwhile, has TAP, its Tuition Assistance Program, under which it provides grants to needy undergraduate students in the state.

Here are some other state educational grant programs you may want to inquire about:

  • LEAP (Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership) program
  • SLEAP (Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership) program
  • Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarships
  • GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) program

Many of these grants are available to students living throughout the 50 states. For eligibility details visit the US Department of Education online.

Finally, don't forget to inquire about reciprocity agreements your state might have with contiguous states or states in the same region, which would permit you to attend public schools in those states for the same tuition residents of those states would pay. Some states are also part of educational compacts, which permit even wider cost reciprocity. The upshot: it's important that you check with your state education agency to see what state grants and scholarships might be available for you. Get a list of the 50 state education agencies.

Learn more about a flexible Citizens Bank Citizens Bank Student Loan™

Access useful information to help your child make their educational dreams a reality. Also, learn more about an affordable Citizens Bank Citizens Bank Student Loan™. If you still have questions, students and parents can call a student loan specialist at 1-800-708-6684, and we'll help walk you through the process.

Additional student loan and college planning resources

Scholarship Search
What is Campus-Based Aid?
Taking Advantage of Grants and Scholarships
Resources for Students & Families
Have a Question?
Banking For Students
Student Borrowing
Branch/ATM Locator
Over 1,100 branches close by.
Connect With Us
facebook   twitter