Improve Your Home's Curb Appeal
Increase your home's value by boosting its curb appeal
In dating, first impressions count for a lot. The same dynamic holds true in the house-hunting process.
Real estate professionals call it "curb appeal." It refers to the overall attractiveness of a property as you pull up to the curb and see it for the first time. It's nice to live in a home with curb appeal, but having a visually appealing property is also one of the best tips for selling your home. Curb appeal may actually increase your home's value; buyers may pay more for homes they find attractive.
How to improve your home's curb appeal
Here are a few projects you can do to increase your home's value before you put it on the market:
- If your house has a wood exterior, add a fresh coat of paint.
- If your house has a brick exterior, fill in any gaps in the mortar.
- If your house has aluminum siding, scrub the exterior.
- Replace missing or worn roof shingles.
- Clean the windows and replace any with cracks.
- Scrub the window screens.
When you're preparing to hold an open house, your real estate agent might suggest that you "stage" the inside of your home. Staging your home often involves reorganizing, redecorating and doing minor touch-ups and repairs to make your home more presentable to potential buyers. You can think of it as the internal counterpart to improving your home's curb appeal. They work in tandem to give house hunters a good first impression.
Curb appeal ideas for the yard
The appearance of your front yard is one of the biggest factors in establishing your home's curb appeal. Giving your yard a quick makeover is a great way to grab the attention of potential buyers. Follow these tips before selling your home:
- Mow the lawn, trim hedges and clip tall grass in hard-to-reach spots.
- Clip any tree branches that are brushing up against your house.
- Neatly edge the lawn where it meets concrete, such as the driveway and sidewalk.
- Weed your landscaping. Turn over the soil, or add some topsoil, so that it has a rich, fertile look.
- Put out flower pots.
- Make sure all external light bulbs are burning brightly so your home still shows well in the evening.
- Check that the garage door is in working order.
Apply for a mortgage with Citizens Bank
If you're in the market for a new home, take advantage of mortgage options from Citizens Bank. Learn more about our mortgage rates, or start the mortgage application process now. For additional information, just contact a home loan advisor at 1-888-514-2300.